Photos 1-5: Then... Old Red Covered Bridge Across East Fork of White Lick Creek on the Waverly Road.
First Photo: Around 1910 photographer J. P. Calvert captured a horse and buggy making its way across the old red covered bridge spanning the East Fork of White Lick Creek, heading northwest into Mooresville. The Mooresville cemetery appears in the background on the right.
Second Photo: In 1911 the M. L. Photo Company photographed the old red covered bridge looking east toward Day's Hill, which was named after Richard and Hannah Day, who homesteaded the land upon which the house in the background is situated. The bridge was located on the Waverly Road, which is now State Road 144.
Third Photo: J. P. Calvert captured the flooding resulting from heavy rains that fell on March 25, 1913. The Waverly Road is nearly impassable, and the water almost reaches the bottom of the old red covered bridge.
Fourth & Fifth Photos: “Old Red Bridge” across the East Fork of White Lick Creek (circa 1910-1920). The bridge was a popular "diving platform" for swimmers looking for relief from the summer heat.
Sixth & Seventh Photos: Now... Bridge Across East Fork of White Lick Creek on East High Street, Near State Road 67 and State Road 144 Intersection (October 2007)
East High Street Bridge spans the East Fork of White Lick Creek, entering Mooresville. The modern High Street bridge is northwest of the intersection of State Road 67 and State Road 144 on East High Street. The view in Photo #7 is toward the Mooresville cemetery, which is obscured by trees (slightly to the right of center in this picture). The creek meanders much as it did a century ago.
Looking east across the bridge in Photo #6, one sees a Wendy's restaurant close to where Day's Hill (and homestead) once stood. The hill was bulldozed, and the dirt was removed to fill the lowland adjacent to the East Fork of White Lick Creek, where the M & I Bank and Casey's General Store now stand, on the southwesterly side of State Road 144.
A RECOMMENDED "READ!"
- Stuttgen, Joanne Raetz, & Tomak, Curtis, Morgan County pp. 50-51 (Postcard History Series) (Charleston, SC: Arcadia Publishing, 2007)(ISBN 0-7385-5120-1). All black and white photographs appearing on this page were used in this book and are reprinted by permission.
- J. P. Calvert, Red Covered Bridge over East Fork of White Lick Creek, looking toward Day's Hill, outside Mooresville, 1911 (photo furnished courtesy of the Academy of Hoosier Heritage, Mooresville, IN).
- J. P. Calvert, Red Covered Bridge over East Fork of White Lick Creek, looking toward Mooresville, circa 1910 (photo furnished courtesy of Dianna Atkins).
- J. P. Calvert, Red Covered Bridge over East Fork of White Lick Creek, looking southwest, during 1913 flood (photo furnished courtesy of Joe Seiter).
- "Now" color photographs of modern bridge across East Fork of White Lick Creek on High Street, Mooresville, taken by William R. Buckley, October, 2007.