Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Is Mooresville Public Library Haunted?

During the summer of 2012, professional paranormal investigators discovered some strange happenings throughout the building. The group (Hoosier Ghost Investigators [HGI]) encountered spontaneous psychokinetic (PK) activity, electronic voice phenomena (EVP), anomalous sounds, electromagnetic (EM) disturbances, and sudden temperature changes.

We've got a handout that explains HGI's paranormal discoveries along with a map showing locations of such activities. Click the links below to see the handout:
Haunted Library Brochure Cvr 250w

Considerable paranormal activity occurred in the library basement. EM interference appeared to disrupt a flashlight's beam without mechanically altering the on/off switch. (The flashlight was fully functional and otherwise operated perfectly.) The team captured some video using somebody's cell phone (to view, click these hyperlinks:  005, 006, 007; or click the video players below).






Some of the EM flashlight interference seemed intelligently driven, but more experiments would need to be conducted to replicate these results if they are to be more than simply suggestive of paranormality. There was audible knocking on tables and walls throughout the building without anyone present causing the noises. The spontaneous PK movement in the Indiana Room, when a book moved by itself from a tightly-packed bookshelf to land five feet away on the floor, was impressive. Was any of this done by disembodied spirits? There is insufficient evidence from which to draw a conclusion, but, certainly, something paranormal appeared to be happening.

Paranormal Activities in 2013-2014:  The MPL maintenance staff have observed strange phenomena at night after the library has closed.  These include: (1) computers spontaneously turning themselves on and off, without any ordinary explanation (i.e., the computers had no automatic command settings to turn on or off, and no one present activated them)--these computers stayed on only long enough to display an image of a woman dressed in black; (2) a woman's voice singing from mid-air in the Grand Hall, when nobody (other than maintenance staff) was physically present in the building, and no electronic devices were operating that could play a recording or receive a radio, television, or Internet transmission; (3) doors opening and closing by themselves; and (4) objects placed in one location mysteriously appearing in other locations without being moved by anyone present.

Most recently (December 1, 2014), the library's youth services page saw a little girl (age approximately 10 years) near the youth biography section of the youth services department.  The girl was wearing an old-fashioned jumper (based upon the page's description, it was of the type worn over 50 years ago).  The girl was sitting on the floor.  The page informed her that she would need to move to a table nearby, as floor-sitting was not allowed (for safety reasons). The girl did not speak but stared intently at the page.  The page then wheeled her book cart to the youth services information desk, and, upon looking back to see if the girl had moved, the page was surprised to see that the girl was gone. The page looked throughout the youth services area, but the girl was not found.  To have exited youth services, the girl would have had to have walked directly in front of the YS information desk. Neither library staff nor patrons in the area saw the girl leave.  "It was as if she just disappeared," said the page.

Let's move from psychical science to folklore. Haunted places as folklore become part of a society's legendary collective storytelling. As stories passing through the cultural consciousness, they are interesting without the need for veridical evidence. As such, we may speculate freely about possible causes. Some of the purportedly spiritualistic communications secured in the library basement appeared to come from disembodied entities identifying themselves as former MPL director Bonita Marley (1906-2002) and Mooresville school teacher and librarian Marian Adams (1920-2000). Although this has not been verified as genuine spiritual interchange (from a parapsychological standpoint), it makes for great folklore stories.

Visit the Library to see if anything paranormal happens to you. Anything's possible. If you're interested in paranormal books, watch our book trailer playlists. We've got one for nonfiction and another for fiction.

To learn more about the paranormal, please visit The Psi Encyclopedia.

Wednesday, August 15, 2018

MPL Indiana Room/Genealogy Web Page (Links)


 Mooresville Public Library will soon be changing its website, so as a precautionary measure, we're going to publish below the contents of the library's Indiana Room/Genealogy web page.


If the Indiana Room is locked, please consult library staff at the Circulation Desk.

INDIANA ROOM STAFF HOURS:

 
Mondays & Wednesdays:  12-8 pm
Tuesdays & Thursdays:  9 am-5 pm
2nd & 3rd Fridays:  9 am-5 pm
1st & 4th Saturdays:  9 am-4 pm (ask at the adult information desk)


DIGITAL HOOSIER NEWSPAPERS

Indiana's digital historic newspaper program, Hoosier State Chronicles, has many hard-to-find old newspapers from the 19th and 20th centuries available online.


SANBORN MAPS ONLINE

The Library of Congress has digitized some of its Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps, which are now available online.  These maps show the locations of businesses and houses in various American towns from the 1800s onward. This is an invaluable resource for anyone doing local historical research. Additional maps may be found online on the Indiana University Spatial Data Portal.


FAMOUS HOOSIER BOOKLIST

Click here to see a booklist of biographies about some famous Hoosiers, and books by Hoosier authors, that we have in our Evergreen Indiana catalog.  The booklist was prepared by Kerry Ware.


ARTSMART: INDIANA

Grade 4 students and teachers!  Explore Indiana art and learn its relationship to Indiana history at the ArtSmart: Indiana website.


ArtSmart Indiana logo
Click the Logo (Above) to Learn More


ANCESTRY LIBRARY EDITION

Available at the Library (Click Image to Access Database)
NOTE:  You MUST be physically ON THE LIBRARY CAMPUS
(connected to our computer network or wireless) to access ALE


FAMILY HISTORY & GENEALOGY RESEARCH

Extensive genealogical and family history research may be done at the Indiana State Library Genealogy Division (in downtown Indianapolis) and at Allen County Public Library Genealogy Center (in Fort Wayne, Indiana). Visit the U.S. Census Bureau web site for U.S. Census information.  Many valuable research tips and resources are available on the Indiana Genealogical Society blog and website.

IN Gen Socy Online Historical Plat Maps 350w


INDIANA STATE LIBRARY GENEALOGY DIVISION

The Indiana State Library Genealogy Division has one of the largest genealogy and family history collections in the Midwest.  Click here to learn more about their "family search" service.

 

MORGAN COUNTY (INDIANA) GENEALOGY/FAMILY HISTORY

The MPL Indiana Room focuses upon local (i.e., Morgan County) family histories but has additional genealogical resources available through our web site (e.g., Heritage Quest Online), on the library campus (e.g., Ancestry Library Edition), and in our print collections.


BOOK A GENEALOGY LIBRARIAN @ MCPL

mcpl-book-a-genealogy-librarian

Morgan County Public Library's genealogy department (at the Martinsville main branch) offers a wonderful service for those researching genealogy and family history.  You may "book a genealogy librarian" to assist you or your group in your research.  Click the graphic above (or click here) to learn more.


GENEALOGY RESEARCH FOR HIRE

Need to hire a genealogist to research your ancestry from Morgan County (or elsewhere)?  Check with the Indiana State Library Genealogy Division or the Morgan County History & Genealogy Association.


INDIANA HISTORY ONLINE

Visit the following websites for digitized articles, images, links, and other information and resources regarding Hoosier history:


SEARCH INDIANA ARCHIVES

 
Search millions of records housed within the Indiana Archives by using the Research Indiana Catalog, which simplifies the process of searching the Archives’ collection by providing listings of more than a quarter of a million holdings. Some of these commonly sought-after materials include Indiana military, immigration, institutional and vital records.



OUR INDIANA ROOM COLLECTIONS


Indiana-Related Materials
  • Books & magazines about Indiana subjects.

Local & State History
  • Emphasis on Mooresville & Morgan County history; Indiana history resources; Yearbooks for Mooresville schools; Microfilm (local newspapers, magazines); Vertical files (local & state history).

Genealogical Resources 
  • Ancestry Library Edition online genealogy & history database (onsite use only); Heritage Quest online genealogy & history database; Legacy Links (online local obituary database); Morgan County cemetery records; Local obituary card files & newspaper clippings; Vertical files (family histories, genealogies); Local family histories (books); Microfilm (genealogy); Other genealogical materials.
Mooresville, Indiana "Treasure Trove" blog archives share a wealth of historical tidbits, focusing primarily on the history of Mooresville and Morgan County, Indiana.

Free Online "Treasure Trove" Handouts
Visit the Library's local history "treasure trove" web page to view, print, or download free handouts.

Self-Guided Walking Tour, Historic Downtown Mooresville



OUR "TREASURE TROVE" VIDEOS


INDIANA STATE MUSEUM LIBRARY PASS

Use your Evergreen Indiana library card to check-out the Indiana State Museum Library Pass, entitling up to four persons to free general admission, parking discounts, and more!  Click the video below for further information.  2018 UPDATE:  In addition to the Indiana State Museum, the ISM Library Pass is now accepted at 11 state historic sites.  The hours for the State Museum are now Tuesday - Sunday, 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.  They are closed on Mondays.


CLICK (ABOVE) TO WATCH ISM PROMO TRAILER


EITELJORG MUSEUM PASS

Use your Evergreen Indiana library card to check-out the Eiteljorg Museum Pass, entitling you to FREE admission for up to four adults, plus an unlimited number of children or grandchildren age 17 or younger.  Free parking is available in the White River State Park garage when you use the pass.  Click here to learn more.

Famous Mooresvillians (Links)


Mooresville Public Library will soon be changing its website, so as a precautionary measure, we're going to publish below the contents of the library's Famous Mooresvillians web page.



FAMOUS MOORESVILLIANS

Famous MV Folks 375w-rev


ROBERT INDIANA

Famed artist Robert Indiana (1928-2018) (Robert Earl Clark) attended school in Mooresville when his family lived here in 1934-1935 (first on a farm, then in a house on Lockerbie Street).  In 1935 Robert's first grade teacher, Miss Ruth Coffman (later, Mrs. Maurice Haase) (1910-1995), recognized his artistic talents and encouraged Robert to pursue art as a career.  (Learn more about Ruth Coffman Haase from a few items stored in the library's Indiana Room "Robert Indiana" vertical file.)

Childhood Drawing by Robert Clark (ca. 1936) (click image to enlarge)
(Image courtesy of RobertIndiana.com)

Can you find one of Robert's sign creations hanging in the library? (Hint:  You'll see it near the MPL Indiana Room, which has several books about the artist.) Visit the Robert Indiana website for more fascinating details about his life and times.  Click here to read a transcript of oral history interviews that the Smithsonian Archives of American Art recorded with the artist (Sept. 12-Nov. 7, 1963)--note especially pages 14-18, in which the artist discusses his time in Mooresville (although in the interviews he incorrectly recollects Miss Coffman's name as Coffin, a Nantucket name mentioned in one of Robert's favorite books, Moby Dick [1851], by Herman Melville).  The library also has a 1968 poster designed and signed by the artist, which he presented to Ruth Coffman Haase, on display next to the media alcove (see photos below).

Robert Indiana 1962

Click photo to visit the Robert Indiana website

Robert Indiana poster 1968-1 300x450

Robert Indiana poster 1968-2 250w
Click photos (above) to enlarge


JOHN DILLINGER

Perhaps the most famous person to live in Mooresville was the bank robber John Dillinger (1903-1934).  The library has several books about Dillinger in our Indiana Room collection.  Below we describe Dillinger's holdup of grocery store owner Frank Morgan, which resulted in Dillinger's first criminal conviction.  This event occurred just one block from the Library!  Read about it in the Mooresville Times (Sept.-Oct. 1924), including accounts of the trials of Dillinger and his accomplice, Edgar Singleton.  Dillinger's family maintained that it was Singleton who encouraged Dillinger to rob Morgan, after the elder Singleton plied the younger Dillinger with alcohol in a local pool hall.  Dillinger received a much harsher sentence--unusually harsh for a first offense--than Singleton, presumably because of the battery upon Morgan (Dillinger hit Morgan in the head with a metal rod, and Dillinger's gun discharged when it hit the ground as the two struggled).  It was widely believed that, because of this harsh punishment, Dillinger became embittered and, while congregating with hardened criminals in prison, learned the skills he later used in his famous bank robberies.

Click (Above) to Play Video

Dillinger John 1st Holdup 300w
Click Image (Above) to Enlarge

dillingerwantedposter4_350w

Click the Wanted Poster to visit the John Dillinger website


PAUL HADLEY

Besides being an accomplished interior designer and artist (especially in watercolor, which he taught at John Herron Art Institute in Indianapolis), longtime Mooresville resident Paul Hadley (1880-1971) designed the Indiana State Flag (submitted, 1916; adopted, 1917 as the Indiana State Banner). The library has many of Hadley's original paintings on display in the grand hall (see brochure #1 and brochure #2). The MPL Indiana Room also has many items in its collection about him (click here for a bibliography, biographical information, photos, and more). Read more about this quiet, fascinating gentleman (and his paintings) in our "treasure trove" blog, our Cauli Le Chat blog, and our "flash from your past" flashcard, as well as in his biography, The Indiana State Flag: Its Designer (Biography of Paul Hadley with Anthology of his Paintings), by Becky Hardin (1976) (PART ONE and PART TWO). There are also digital versions of biographical articles published in Traces and Indiana magazines (scroll down to see links).  In 2017 the Indiana Historical Bureau published an excellent article about Hadley and the Indiana State Flag's history.

Hadley_Paul_Ralph_Priest 350w

Paul Hadley (left) & Ralph Priest prepare a mock-up of Hadley's Indiana State Flag design (ca. 1923)

Hadley Paul Star Courier Tribune pix 2-5-1969_375w
Paul Hadley with the Indiana State Flag (February 1969) (click photo to see full article)

Hadley Paul ca 1905 postcard front 375w
Paul Hadley (circa 1905) (Picture Postcard by J. P. Calvert)
(Click Photo to Enlarge)


Paul Hadley Biographical Videos

 
Click the videos below to learn more about Paul Hadley.

Paul Hadley Biographical Video, Part One

Paul Hadley Biographical Video, Part Two

Paul Hadley Biographical Video, Part Three

Paul Hadley Biographical Video, Part Four

Paul Hadley Biographical Video, Part Five


Celebrating Paul Hadley & the Indiana State Flag Centennial (April 16, 2016)

 
Watch our video (below) of a panel discussion (and Q & A session) about Paul Hadley and the Indiana State Flag (April 16, 2016).


Further Reading About Paul Hadley 

  • Hardin, Becky.  The Indiana State Flag: Its Designer (Biography of Paul Hadley with Anthology of his Paintings) (1976).
  • Perry, Rachel Berenson.  “Paul Hadley: Artist and Designer of the Indiana Flag.” Traces of Indiana and Midwestern History 15:1 (Indiana Historical Society, Winter 2003): 20-29; “Paul Hadley, Indiana State Flag Designer.”  Indiana Magazine (Indiana Dept. of Commerce, Nov. 1977): 24-25; MPL biographical handout.
  • Poletika, Nicole.  “‘A Permanent Emblem of Its Own:’ The Indiana State Flag & Its Designer.”  Indiana Historical Bureau (blog), January 11, 2017.
  • Representative David W. Evans (Indiana) spoke about Paul Hadley and Becky Hardin’s biography in The Congressional Record, April 14, 1976 (“Accomplishments of Citizens and Patriots“).
  • The Indiana Senate passed a resolution honoring Paul Hadley following his death in 1971 (see copy).


AMOS RUSIE

Mooresville native Amos Wilson Rusie (1871-1942), “the Hoosier Thunderbolt,” pitched for the New York Giants between 1890-1901.  He held many major league pitching records and was considered the fastest pitcher in professional baseball.  For more about Rusie, watch the videos below; read this article from Traces of Indiana and Midwestern History (1989); take a look at our "flash from your past" flashcard; or visit the MPL Indiana Room, to learn more about this all-star pitcher.

Amos_Rusie
Amos Rusie N.Y. Giants Baseball Card (1890's)

Amos Rusie:  The Hoosier Thunderbolt, by Pete Cava
(MPL Program Video, April 2, 2016)


FRANK INN

Camby native Frank Inn (born Elias Franklin Freeman) (1916-2002) grew up on a farm near Mooresville.  His parents operated Freeman's Florist shop in Mooresville for many years.  Inn was best known as an animal trainer for Hollywood movies (such as Benji, The Thin Man series, and Breakfast at Tiffany's) and television programs (such as the 1960's sitcoms The Beverly Hillbillies, Green Acres, and Petticoat Junction).  For Green Acres, Inn trained Arnold the Pig (character name:  Arnold Ziffel).  Arnold came from Jim Clem’s farm on Johnson Road just outside Mooresville.


Frank Inn with Green Acres star, Arnold the Pig

Inn's book about Benji is available to check-out from our Evergreen Indiana catalog.  Visit the MPL Indiana Room, or read this brief biography, to learn more about the man and his talented animals.

Frank Inn & Benji 300w

Frank Inn & Benji (click photo to read our catalog description of Inn's Benji book)

On May 7, 2016, the library presented a program celebrating the 100th anniversary of Frank Inn's birth.  We captured the program on video (below). Frank Inn was portrayed by David Reddick, chair of the Morgan County Indiana Bicentennial Celebration.

Celebrating a Century of Frank Inn, by Mooresville Public Library
(Click video above to play)


SAMMY LEE DAVIS

Sammy Lee Davis moved to Waverly, Indiana from California following his junior year to attend Mooresville High School (graduated MHS Class of 1966).  After enlisting in the U.S. Army, he distinguished himself in combat service in Vietnam and, on November 19, 1968, was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor by President Lyndon B. Johnson (see the Weekly Compilation of Presidential DocumentsMonday, November 25, 1968, pp. 1611-12, 1614). Davis has an autobiography available to checkout from our Evergreen Indiana catalog.

sammy davis autobiography bk cvr
Click book cover (above) to go to our online catalog

sammy l davis
Sergeant Sammy L. Davis, Congressional Medal of Honor Recipient (1968)

Sammy L Davis & Other Congressional Medal of Honor Recipients 11-18-1968
President Lyndon Baines Johnson  (far right) awards the Congressional Medal of Honor to (L to R): Gary G. Wetzel, Dwight H. Johnson, Sammy L. Davis, James Allen Taylor, and Angelo J. Liteky (November 19, 1968)


JULIA D. NELSON


The first woman to serve in the Indiana General Assembly was Mooresville native Julia D. Nelson. Born in Mooresville on December 11, 1863, Julietta ("Julia") Reynolds attended the Mooresville Academy School until 1880, when she married Edward F. Nelson.  The couple moved to Indianapolis circa 1887.  Subsequently, in 1903 Julia and Edward moved to Muncie, Indiana, where Edward was employed as a pressman for the local newspaper.  Julia served as chairwoman of the Delaware County Republican Women's Club during the 1920 elections.  She was also active in the women's suffrage movement, as well as organizations such as the Order of the Eastern Star and the State Assembly Women's Club.

Following the death of state representative J. Clark McKinley just before the November, 1920 election, Julia D. Nelson was selected as McKinley's replacement to represent Delaware County in the Indiana House.  Julia served one full term (1921-1923).  Her first speech before the General Assembly called for legislation for the care and support of poor parents by their children.  During her first year in office, she introduced five resolutions, of which the most notable were:
  • House Bill 425:  To establish private hearings in criminal cases involving rape and in determination of paternity hearings.
  • House Bill 322:  To establish an Indiana Motion Picture Board to examine, approve, and regulate movies shown in Indiana theaters.
In 1932, following Edward's death, Julia moved back to Indianapolis.  She died on May 27, 1936 and is buried in Crown Hill Cemetery.
Many thanks to the Indiana Commission for Women for information about Julia D. Nelson.


CLIFFORD C. FURNAS

Clifford C. Furnas (1900-1969) graduated from Mooresville High School in 1918.  He earned his bachelor degree from Purdue University (1922), at which he excelled in track and field.  He secured a position on the U.S. Olympic team and competed in the 5,000 meters event at the 1920 Olympic Games in Belgium.  He earned his Ph.D. in chemical engineering from the University of Michigan (1926).  From 1926-31 he worked as a physical chemist with the U.S. Bureau of Mines in Minneapolis.  Thereafter, he became a professor of chemical engineering at Yale University.

In 1941, at a meeting of the American Chemical Society, Furnas caused a sensation when he recommended the development of solar power as an alternative energy resource to fossil fuels.  During World War II, he directed the Curtiss-Wright airplane division.  In 1954 Furnas became chancellor of the University of Buffalo.  He served as an assistant secretary of defense in the Eisenhower administration (1955-57).  In 1962, he guided the University of Buffalo's transition into the State University of New York at Buffalo (SUNY-Buffalo), serving as its first president until his retirement in 1966.  He published many noteworthy scholarly books and articles throughout his distinguished academic and professional career.  Checkout a book describing his lifetime achievements from our Indiana Room collections.

 
Clifford C. Furnas (1900-1969)
Clifford C. Furnas as a Mooresville High School junior
(Class Photo from the '17 Packet [MHS yearbook, 1917)
(Click Image Above to Enlarge)


GEORGE H. FIELDS

George H. Fields (1921-2014) was a life-long Mooresville resident who became Mooresville High School's first Indiana boys' basketball all-star and, later, he became a standout on Purdue University's men's basketball team. His parents were Herbert Andrew and Georgie (Conduitt) Fields.  George passed on January 22, 2014.  Click here to read George's obituary.  Click the images below to enlarge them.

 MHS Basketball Team 1936-1937_edit-275wMHS Basketball Team 1936-1937 Back_edit2-275w
MHS Basketball Team 1938_edit_275w
MHS Basketball Team 1938 Back_edit2_275w
George Fields at Purdue- Purdue Univ Library Archives


SAMUEL MOORE, FOUNDER OF MOORESVILLE

Mooresville, Indiana was founded in 1824 by Samuel Moore, whose Quaker family moved from North Carolina in 1818 to Washington County, Indiana, settling near the town of Salem. The Moore family found slavery inconsistent with their religious beliefs and moved north to escape the practice. Samuel moved away from his family and settled in Brown Township, Morgan County, Indiana, in 1822.

Samuel Moore was not the first European-descended settler to homestead in Morgan County or Brown Township. Jacob Wetzel became the first white settler in Morgan County (1818), and William Ballard settled in Brown Township in 1820. Moore established the first trading post in Brown Township in 1822.  It was situated atop a hill approximately where today's V.F.W. Post #1111 now stands on South Indiana Street, a few hundred feet east of White Lick Creek. Moore made no distinctions based on color, race, or national creed; he traded with Native and European-descended Americans alike. Customers paid for his goods in silver, as well as barter items (primarily deer and raccoon skins, ginseng, bees wax, and buck horn).

As his business flourished, in 1823 Samuel Moore purchased 20 acres of land (at $2 per acre) atop a hill east of White Lick Creek and about a half-mile north of his trading post. He platted the town in 1824, which consisted of four five-acre blocks, with each block containing 16 lots (see the original plat below; click-on the image to enlarge it). The plat was recorded on Feb. 21, 1825. The town, however, dates its origin to 1824, and this is the historically accepted date.

MV_Plat_1824_400w
Click Map to Enlarge

In 1924, to celebrate the town's centennial, a historical marker commemorating Samuel Moore's founding of Mooresville was placed on the northeast corner of Main and Indiana Streets downtown at the site where Moore's wood-frame general store was built a century before (it was the first wood-frame business in town).  The marker consisted of a stone and plaque, which were removed in summer 2017 during renovations to Paul Hadley mini-park.  As of October, 2017, it was uncertain whether the "founding stone" and marker would be restored at its original location.  Learn more from this newspaper article.

Asa Bales constructed the first cabin in Mooresville, and the first wood-frame business structure was built by Samuel Moore on the northeast corner of the intersection of Main and Indiana Streets. Moore conducted business there for 44 years. His goods travelled by wagon and boat across southern Indiana and even as far away as Boston and New Orleans.

In 1828, Samuel Moore married Eliza Worthington, who later founded the Methodist Episcopal (M.E.) Church in Mooresville.  (Click here to see photos of the couple in their golden years.)

 Eliza-Samuel-Moore_400w
Eliza Worthington Moore & Samuel Moore (circa 1850)

Eliza Moore passed over on December 10, 1873 (see obituary record), and Samuel Moore joined her on March 1, 1889 (see obituary record and newspaper obituary).  We have the original copy of Samuel Moore's last will and testament, executed July 21, 1888, and filed for probate in Morgan County Circuit Court on March 15, 1889.  For "moore" information about Samuel & Eliza (and town history generally), see this handout and another handout. For a brief "family tree" of Samuel & Eliza and their descendants, click here.  This handout explores the various homes in which Samuel & Eliza (and their family) lived in Mooresville.

"Narration" of Samuel Moore at the Old Settlers Picnic (1885)
(Dramatic Reenactment)


REV. DR. FRANK CLAUDE HUSTON

HustonFrank huston_fc_2

The Reverend Dr. Frank Claude Huston (1871-1959) was pastor of Mooresville First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) (1934-1937).  He was an internationally renowned composer and singer who wrote and performed hymns, gospel music, ballads, popular songs, patriotic tunes, and dance songs. Dr. Huston founded his own music publishing companies in Indianapolis and New York.  He composed a tribute song, "Mooresville" (1935), which proclaimed the townspeople's virtues and praised its hometown values.  Click his photos above (or click here) to learn more about this talented gentleman.  (Click here to see a copy of Huston's original music score for the town's song.)  The library has several copies of the history of Mooresville First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) available to check-out from our Evergreen Indiana online catalog.


RUTH ELLEN COMER

Maria Karson & Her Musicales ca. 1942 on NBC Radio_250w.jpg Ruth Comer at Hotel Tampa Terrace late 1940s_250w Ruth Comer Publicity Photo ca. 1945_250w

Ruth Ellen Comer (1909-1995) was the daughter of Charles Benton Comer and Mary Aldrich Comer.  She graduated from Mooresville High School and Butler University School of Music and further studied music at the University of Southern California.  She was a professional musician, playing piano, pipe organ, and accordion.  She was best known as a member of the musical group, Maria Karson & Her Musicales (1940s), who appeared on national radio and played a variety of clubs and hotels across the country.  Click the photos above (or click here) to learn more about this gifted lady, or watch our video (below).


BOBBY HELMS

Bobby Helms (Robert Lee Helms) (1933-1997)--perhaps best known for the songs "Fraulien" (1957), "Jingle Bell Rock" (1957), and "My Special Angel" (1957)--was born in Bloomington, but, in later years, was a resident of Martinsville (he's buried there in Hilldale cemetery).  He is a member of the Morgan County Hall of Fame.  His Mooresville connection comes from the 1970s, when he owned a restaurant/nightclub, the Special Angel Club, which was situated at Five Points (between Mooresville and Waverly), where State Road 144, Kitchen Road, and Orchard Road converge.  Learn more about Helms from this official website.  (Click the images below to enlarge.)
Bobby_Helms 250w
Bobby Helms publicity photo (circa 1957)

Bobby Helms Special Angel Club Ad 1977 MHS Wagon Trails Yearbook 250w
Advertisement from the 1977 Mooresville High School yearbook, Wagon Trails

Bobby Helms Special Angel Club Ad MV Times 2-22-1979 250w
Advertisement from the Mooresville Times, February 22, 1979


ARTHUR C. NEWBY

Arthur C. Newby (1865-1933) was born and raised near Monrovia, Indiana, but owned land in Mooresville that became an important part of local education here (see below).  Newby was an early bicycle and automobile manufacturer and co-founded the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.  He moved to Indianapolis in 1881 seeking employment and was a middle manager for the firm of Nordyke & Marmon.  In the 1890s, Newby co-founded the Zig-Zag Cycling Club, and, along with Charles E. Test and Edward Fletcher, he established the Indianapolis Chain & Stamping Company, which later became the Diamond Chain Company.  By the end of the 1890s, Newby's business was supplying roughly 60 percent of American-made bicycle chains.  From 1894 to 1899, Newby was also associated with Hay & Willits Manufacturing Company, which made Outing bicycles, a popular brand.

 arthur c newby 300w
Arthur C. Newby (1865-1933) (see obituaries here)

In 1898 Newby teamed with James A. Allison and Carl G. Fisher to construct the Newby Oval, a bicycle racing track near 30th Street and Central Avenue in Indianapolis.  This trio later founded the Indianapolis Motor Speedway in 1909. By the turn of the 20th century, Newby focused upon automobile manufacture, co-founding the National Motor Vehicle Company, which built electric and gasoline-powered automobiles.

Newby Dedication 1937 300w

Dedication Program for William & Milton Newby Memorial Elementary School (March 30, 1937)

"In 1920, Arthur C. Newby gave a 140 acre farm (located west of Mooresville near Bingham and Greencastle Roads), together with considerable other property, to the Mooresville School Association. His wishes were that they be sold and proceeds used toward the creation of a new school with the stipulation that it be named in memory of his uncles, William and Milton Newby. Mooresville’s existing elementary school, the Academy Building which originally housed MHS [Mooresville High School], was filling more and more each year. The William and Milton Newby Memorial Elementary School was decided upon and plans were drawn in 1935. Construction began in January 1936. The cost was approximately $93,000. The architectural style was Georgian Colonial. The new building included ten classrooms, a recreation room, cafeteria and kitchen, four dressing rooms, the principal’s office, a suite for first aid, music and art supervisor’s office, teachers’ rest rooms, a workshop for the custodians and a large storage room were also included in the plan. The school grounds covered about eight acres of picturesque rolling and wooded lot." [Quoted from Susan Haynes (2016).  William and Milton Newby Memorial Elementary School.  Mooresville, Indiana: Mooresville Consolidated School Corporation.]
 


JAMES WHITCOMB RILEY

James Whitcomb Riley, sign painter (ca. 1872)
(Photo courtesy of Indianapolis Public Library Riley Collection)

Although famous Hoosier poet James Whitcomb Riley (1849-1916) grew up in Greenfield, Indiana, in Spring 1874 he moved to Mooresville to live with his aunt and uncle, Jim and Ann Marine, while he worked as a sign painter in a shop located at 25 South Indiana Street downtown.  The building is known as the Perce Building (for owner Dr. B. H. Perce, who had it constructed around 1865).  Our video (below), and this blog post, elaborate.


In addition to sign painting, Riley wrote articles and humorous quips for the local newspaper, the Mooresville Enterprise, as well as for other Morgan County newspapers.  When trade was slack, Riley would slip around the block to hang out with local photographer and Civil War veteran Jarvis P. Calvert at his art and photographer studio on East Harrison Street.

James Whitcomb Riley (ca. 1874)
(Photo possibly taken by J. P. Calvert)
(Image courtesy of James Whitcomb Riley Old Home Society)